Re: [igraph] general question about python igraph

From: Tamas Nepusz
Subject: Re: [igraph] general question about python igraph
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 23:21:40 +0000

> i'm on a mac too, i'll try. Do you know if all R functions are available for
> python as well?
Not all of them, unfortunately. Basically there are two different kind of
functions in the R interface:

- those that simply call an underlying function in the C library (this is I
guess 95% of the functionality)
- those that are implemented in R and have no corresponding function in the C
library.

The functions that are implemented in C are also present in the Python
interface (well, maybe with one or two rare exceptions that I forgot to
implement). So yes, 95% of the functionality of the R interface is also present
in Python. The remaining 5% includes functions like power.law.fit, which uses
R's advanced statistical routines to implement a power law fitting procedure,
and since such routines are not available in Python, this was omitted from the
Python interface. Also, the plotting capabilities are different: the R
interface uses R's plotting facilities, while the Python interface uses the
Cairo library to plot graphs. So, there are differences between the two
interfaces, but most of the functions should be available in both interfaces.

If you need something from the R interface that you can't find in the Python
interface, let me know and I'll see what can be done. For instance, if you are
looking for an equivalent for power.law.fit, you can try an experimental Python
module I'm working on that does exactly this (note that this requires CMake and
SWIG at the moment):

https://launchpad.net/~ntamas/+junk/plfit