Re: [igraph] Query regarding modularity calculations

From: Gábor Csárdi
Subject: Re: [igraph] Query regarding modularity calculations
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 17:04:06 +0100

Dear Vijaykumar Yogesh Muley,

On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 4:58 PM, Vijaykumar Muley <address@hidden> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I tried to run modularity calculations for a graph which has 4000 nodes and
> 60,000 interactions. I performed these calculations using modularity
> function of the igraph packages the R code is as follow
>
> x is a graph
>
> b <- edge.betweenness.community( x )
> comm <- community.to.membership( x, b$merges, steps=10)
> modularity=modularity(x, comm$membership)
>
> but I am getting negative values for modularity moreover it took around 5
> days.

as I already wrote you, it is not the modularity calculation that
takes a long time, but the edge-betweenness based community structure
detection. The modularity calculation should be fast.

Moreover, the negative value is normal, modularity is not necessarily
positive. If you just take 10 merges in such a big graph, as you did,
then you will have very poor communities and the modularity score will
be negative.

Best Regards,
Gabor