Re: [igraph] efficiency

From: zhengjun chen
Subject: Re: [igraph] efficiency
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2009 10:15:30 -0500

Hmmmm, I think the reason why Igraph python is slow is list operation in python.
When using Igraph python, I put the edge information (it is stored in a .txt file) into a list, then call add_edges() function to add edges in the list to graph. If the graph grows large (i.e. more than 100,000 edges)
It becomes very slow to add these edges into graph.
If you have a better way to add edges into graph, and thus to reduce the time, please tell me.

On Sat, Nov 28, 2009 at 4:11 AM, Gábor Csárdi <address@hidden> wrote:
On Sat, Nov 28, 2009 at 2:45 AM, zhengjun chen <zhjchen.sa@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I do not know the performance of Igraph R. I know a bit about the
> performance of Igraph Python. It is much slower than C version when the
> graph grows large. So, if you want to experiment on large graphs, You should
> choose C version.
> On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 8:41 PM, Roberto Pagliari <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> Hi All,
>> I was wondering if there are results about performance evaluation of
>> igraph R vs igraph for C. Does R use C routines? Because I'm interested in
>> simulating over large graphs. So if there's a huge difference in terms of
>> performances, I'd better off using the C version.

Hmmmm, can you show an example for which it is much slower?

It should not be slower at all. See e.g. this thread:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/igraph-help/2009-06/msg00091.html

I would definitely go with the R or Python version, the one that you
are more familiar with. R and Python are _much_ more productive than
programming in C. Only use C if you really need to.

[...]