Re: [igraph] using the Graph.layout_drl function

From: Tamas Nepusz
Subject: Re: [igraph] using the Graph.layout_drl function
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 12:09:07 +0000

Hi Kurt,

> I've just recently been playing with the python igraph interface.  I
> want to do a graph layout on a network w/ about 70k nodes.  The layout
> algorithm seems to complete.  But the layout has a massive vertical
> line of nodes in the middle.  That is, many nodes seems to retain an
> "x" value of near zero in the layout.
>
> Is this normal?  Is there an easy fix?  Is there more info on the DrL
> algorithm?
I don't know whether it's normal or not; it might have happened that
there are a few nodes that are connected only very loosely to the rest
of the network and these were placed very far from the Y axis,
effectively squeezing the rest of the network into the area close to the
Y axis. I'm not sure. If I were you, I would try the original DrL
implementation and read its documentation as well (I think it's in the
downloadable source code package):

http://www.cs.sandia.gov/~smartin/software.html