Re: [igraph] Mean Time-First Passage

From: Sylvain Loiseau
Subject: Re: [igraph] Mean Time-First Passage
Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 15:51:22 +0200

Hello,

Thanks for your answer.

Unfortunately I'm not an expert at all. I try to do my best but be aware that I may be completly wrong about the state of the art in this field.

Btw. you mean some numerical approximation, or it is possible to
calculate this exactly for general networks? (I guess not, but I am
not really up to date with random walks.)

Can you suggest some algorithms for this?

I have been told about the paper : "Algorithms for estimating relative importance in networks", that the authors kindly have made available:

http://www.datalab.uci.edu/papers/white_smyth.pdf

It contains an interesting comparaison of shortest path (p. 269) vs "Mean Time-First passage" indicator of importance or proximity between two nodes.

If I understand correctly, it seems that it is possible to calculate exactly an expected value, without approximation: "A useful property of using mean first passage times, besides having a natural Markov interpretation, is that one can directly compute a mean first passage matrix giving the mean first passage times for all pairs of nodes." (270).

Yours,
Sylvain