[igraph] Installing Python bindings

From: Venura Mendis
Subject: [igraph] Installing Python bindings
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 10:28:03 +0100

Hi Guys,

Sorry this is probably something rather simple and its my inexperience
with Ubuntu causing me problems. Ive upgraded to Jaunty (Distribution
used python 2.6) I dont seem to be able to use Synaptic Package manager
anymore to install igraph as it complains that python version isnt
correct and doesnt quite install it.
I installed libgraph from source (Version 0.51) everything builds ok.
And I assume it put everything in the right place. However when I run
> sudo /usr/bin/python2.5 ./setup.py build

I get the error
Include path: /usr/local/include/igraph
Library path: /usr/local/lib
running build
running build_py
running build_ext
building 'igraph.core' extension
gcc -pthread -fno-strict-aliasing -DNDEBUG -g -fwrapv -O2 -Wall
-Wstrict-prototypes -fPIC -I/usr/local/include/igraph -I/usr/include/python2.5
-c src/vertexobject.c -o build/temp.linux-i686-2.5/src/vertexobject.o
In file included from src/vertexobject.c:26:
src/vertexobject.h:27:20: error: Python.h: No such file or directory

and lots more from here, which I guess isnt relevant.

I guess the make install for libigraph isnt putting files in the right place. I
tried installing libigraph using synaptic but get the same error
when I try to install the python binding. I tried it with default python
install 2.6 I get the same error  and also a warning
setup.py:25: DeprecationWarning: os.popen3 is deprecated.  Use the subprocess
module. Does igraph work with python 2.6 also?

Thanks for your help,
Venura