Re: [igraph] Plotting a signed and directed graph

From: Tom Backer Johnsen
Subject: Re: [igraph] Plotting a signed and directed graph
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 18:20:34 +0200

Gábor Csárdi wrote:
On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 5:46 PM, Tom Backer Johnsen <address@hidden> wrote:
[...]
As to documentation of the Pajek format, there are at least two examples of
valued and directed graphs in the book "Exploratory Social Network Analysis
with Pajek" by de Nooy, Mrvar, and Batagelj, Cambridge University Press.
 You will find the examples on pages 8 (valued) and 93 (valued and signed)
in that book.  Instead of representing the graph as a matrix as I did, the
command is *Arcs, followed by a list of the arcs, consisting of a sender (by
number from the first part of the file) the receiver (again by number) and
then the value.  The values are all positive on the one on page 8, and
signed on page 93.

Yes, this format we support. (I believe.) I just haven't seen the
signed matrix format so far.

Have you already seen the signed matrix format somewhere else or it
was created by Pajek?

Puh. The answer to that might easily be no. I have no references at the moment. I may simply have assumed that the signed and valued graph may be represented in matrix format. So I may be on very thin ice there.

Btw., yes I know that there are several examples for Pajek file
formats, but this is not how you should _define_ a format. It would be
much easier with a formal definition.

I agree. The definitions I have is by example, not formally. Anyhow, here is the graph I included in a previous reply in *Arcs format. I'll try that one on igraph in a moment.

*NETWORK FirstA.net; 14.04.2009 / 18:07:12
*Vertices 10
1 "S65"
2 "S29"
3 "S04"
4 "S75"
5 "S24"
6 "S81"
7 "S51"
8 "S78"
9 "S86"
10 "S39"
*Arcs
1 6 1
1 10 -1
2 3 1
2 4 1
2 6 1
2 7 1
2 9 1
3 1 -1
3 4 1
3 7 1
3 9 1
4 1 -1
4 2 1
4 5 1
4 6 1
4 7 1
4 9 1
5 2 1
5 4 1
5 9 -1
5 10 -1
6 1 1
6 2 -1
6 8 1
7 2 -1
7 3 1
7 4 1
7 6 -1
7 9 1
8 3 1
8 4 1
8 6 1
8 7 -1
8 9 1
8 10 1
9 10 -1
10 1 1
10 2 1
10 3 1
10 4 1
10 5 1
10 6 1
10 7 1
10 8 1
10 9 1

Tom

| Tom Backer Johnsen, Psychometrics Unit,  Faculty of Psychology |
| University of Bergen, Christies gt. 12, N-5015 Bergen,  NORWAY |
| Tel : +47-5558-9185                        Fax : +47-5558-9879 |
| Email : address@hidden    URL : http://www.galton.uib.no/ |