Re: [igraph] writing a layout in a format

From: Tamas Nepusz
Subject: Re: [igraph] writing a layout in a format
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2009 23:25:20 +0100

I was wondering if someone could provide an example of how to write the layout in python.
Well, there are no predetermined layout formats in igraph, so you can use whatever format suits you the best. If you want to read the layout from other applications later, it's maybe the best to simply write the x-y coordinates one per line as follows, e.g.:

g = Graph.GRG(100, 0.2)
layout = g.layout("kk")
fp = file("layout.dat", "w")
for x, y in layout:
  print >>fp, x, y
fp.close()

Another way to go is to store the X and Y coordinates as vertex attributes and then save the graph in a format that preserves vertex attributes, e.g.:

g = Graph.GRG(100, 0.2)
layout = g.layout("kk")
g.vs["x"], g.vs["y"] = zip(*layout)        # ugly but neat trick
g.write("my_graph.graphml")

The same should also work with "my_graph.gml" (using the GML format instead of GraphML) or "my_graph.pickle" (uses Python's pickle module instead of GraphML).

You guys need more examples of the simple stuff.   :-)
Yes I know ;) The Python docs definitely need some improvement (and I definitely need some spare time to improve the docs). Sorry about that. Hope this helps.

I'm trying to follow the documentation "write(self, f, format =None, *args, **kwds ) " but I don't know what the heck I'm doing.

Thanks,
- Jeff