[igraph] Re: [statnet_help] Re: gplot.layout with valued edges

From: Alexander
Subject: [igraph] Re: [statnet_help] Re: gplot.layout with valued edges
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 20:34:59 -0400

Thanks for the reply, and thanks also for igraph!

 I mix igraph and network/sna exactly as you say - I've found that
 igraph is faster than network, but then there are some functions in
 sna that I need - like brokerage.

 I was looking over the python interface documentation and I noticed
 the function shortest_paths_dijkstra.

 I would like to be able to calculate these two measures on my graphs:

 Newman's measure of betweeness centrality for scientific collaborations [1]

 Fowler's adaptation of this measure to directed networks (of
 cosponsorship in the US Congress) [2]

 Judging from the arguments that shortest_path_dijkstra takes Newman's
 measure should be:
 shortest_paths_dijkstra(vertices,weights,mode=all)
 where the weights are 1/sum of papers between the authors (in my case
 it's just the weight of the edge as calculated by count.multiple(g),
 then simplify(g) on a graph made from the edgelist with all (ie
 multiple) ties between the nodes.

 and in the case of Fowler's adaptation it is:
 shortest_paths_dijkstra(vertices,weights, mode=in)
 where the weights are the same as above, and the direction of the tie
 is from alter to ego.

 I've included links to the papers:

 [1] http://www.cam.cornell.edu/~ariel/scientific_ideas/scient_coll2.pdf
 [2] http://jhfowler.ucdavis.edu/legislative_cosponsorship_networks.pdf