Re: [igraph] bipartite networks question

From: Gábor Csárdi
Subject: Re: [igraph] bipartite networks question
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2009 11:03:29 +0100

Jose,

well, I think that the Page Rank in its current form does not really
make sense on bipartite networks, because in Page Rank the adjacency
matrix is normalized and it is assumed that every node could have the
same number of connections (i.e. to all the other vertices). This is,
however, not true if the network is bipartite, because you have two
kinds of nodes. (Unless you have the same number of nodes for both
kinds.)

It does not seem too difficult to me to generalize it to bipartite
networks, by normalizing differently, and perhaps if you want to
follow the "random surfer" model, then you want to allow jumps only to
an opposite kind of node.

Whether you will still have the favorable practical aspects of the
measure, I mean in terms or calculating it quickly for huge graphs, is
a different question.

Btw. if you search for 'page rank bipartite', this is the first hit,
it might be interesting for you:
http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1426424