[igraph] Igraph-python load bug?

From: Eric Sun
Subject: [igraph] Igraph-python load bug?
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 15:09:05 -0700

Hi,

Not sure if this is a bug or not, but here goes:

I have a file ‘tmp’ which contains my edgelists:
12345 23456
12345 23457

I then load it into python-igraph with
a = igraph.load('tmp', format='edgelist')

This works fine, but my node names are sometimes very long—up to 10 digits. (the node names are ID numbers and don’t start from ‘1’)
If I change ‘tmp’ to have the following lines:
1234567890 123456120
12345 23457

then the igraph.load command is VERY slow and basically hangs my terminal.

Is there a way to speed this up other than building a mapping of my node IDs to small integers?  Is there some input format that treats the node names as strings, perhaps?  I didn’t find much documentation on input formats in the python-igraph docs.

Thanks SO much for the help—no more emails to the list from me today :)

Eric