[igraph] Re: Centralization in igraph?

From: Uri Shwed
Subject: [igraph] Re: Centralization in igraph?
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 17:29:04 -0400

Hi Gabor,
Thanks for the quick reply!
in evcent the tmaxdev value for directed graphs is simply the number of nodes -1, right? So a general centralization function for directed graphs could be:

centralize <- function(scores, normalize=TRUE) {
 cent <- sum(max(scores)-scores)
 tmax<-length(scores)-1
 if (normalize) {
   cent <- cent/tmax
 }
 cent
}

??

In addition, I've just noticed that all my graphs, created by "graph.edgelist(x)", have one more node than their corresponding networks, created by "as.network(x, matrix.type="edgelist")". Any idea why, or what I should do about this? I only have this problem with data imported as directed edgelist - my other set of undirected valued graphs is fine.
Thanks,
Uri

Gabor Csardi wrote:
Uri, thanks, that's kind of you, but actually it is not included in igraph. But it very simple to do it:

centralize <- function(scores, tmax, normalize=TRUE) {
  cent <- sum(max(scores)-scores)
  if (normalize) {
    cent <- cent/tmax
  }
  cent
}

It is a bit different than sna, you have to give the 'tmax' argument 'by hand', as igraph centrality functions do not support returning the theoretical maximum. Here is how to use it:

library(igraph)
g <- simplify(ba.game(1000, m=2))
centralize(degree(g), tmax=997002, normalize=TRUE)

g2 <- erdos.renyi.game(1000, 4/999)
centralize(degree(g2), tmax=997002, normalize=TRUE)

Unfortunately, you'll need to calculate the theoretical
maximum for the hub scores..... You can see the evcent function of SNA (tmaxdev=TRUE) to get a hint....
Please tell me if you could find it out.

Gabor

ps. please consider writing to the igraph-help mailing list next time. Thanks.