ifile-dev

[Ifile-dev] [patch] ifile compilation with non-GCC compilers

From: Lubomir Sedlacik
Subject: [Ifile-dev] [patch] ifile compilation with non-GCC compilers
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 17:40:10 +0200

hi,

argp part of ifile uses __attribute__ GCC-ism which is wrapped by
CONSTRUCTOR_FAILS definition but there is no test for it so the
compilation fails.

attached is a patch (against ifile cvs) for configure.ac and
argp/configure.in which adds this test (configure regen needed).
i committed this patch to NetBSD's pkgsrc ifile package (to make it
compile with Sun C on Solaris) but there are alternative ways of fixing
this issue:

- add proposed check to configure.  benefit: no changes to the actual
  code needed.

- add proposed check only to argp/configure and add the following test
  to argp/argp.h:

  #ifndef __GNUC__
  #define __attribute__(x)  /* empty */
  #endif

  this has the benefit of changing only argp part of ifile (since argp.h
  is included from opts.c) but is less clear.

- remove CONSTRUCTOR_FAILS checks from argp code and add the above check
  for __GNUC__ where appropriate.  this seems to be the clearest way for
  me but requires more changes to argp code.

choose whatever you feel is the best for ifile :).

regards,

[ please keep me on CC: in replies, i am not subscribed.  thanks ]

--
-- Lubomir Sedlacik <address@hidden>                   --
--                  <address@hidden>                   --