ifile-dev

[Ifile-dev] Adding some extra switches

From: Paul Chambers
Subject: [Ifile-dev] Adding some extra switches
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2002 13:42:47 -0800

I'm in the process of incorporating some additional command line
switches. This was motivated from wanting to be able to pipe a list of
filenames (specifically the output of 'find') into ifile, and have it
insert them.

I currently have implemented '-z', which is like '-i' but adds filenames
from stdin (and doesn't require a folder name), and '-n <n>' which
extracts the n'th directory element from the files path as the folder
name, counting in reverse from the file (i.e. '1' would extract the
file's parent, '2' the file's grandparent, '3' the file's
great-grandparent, etc).

Now I'm able to write command lines like:

  find <my maildir> <some criteria> -type f -path '*/cur/*' |
/usr/local/bin/ifile -z -n 2

And it'll insert the files that meet <some criteria>, using the
maildir's name as the folder name. I'm planning to use it in a cron job
with date criteria, so it will incrementally add new files.

I think these additions may be useful to others, so once I'm happy with
it, anyone object if I contribute it back?

It would be cleaner I tweaked the existing command line options a little
- like allowing '-i' to have its folder parameter omitted if '-n' was
being used, for example. I can then just turn '-z' into a pure 'add
files from stdin' switch.

'-z' isn't very mnemonic either, but there aren't many alpha characters
left :-)

Paul
(just registered as 'bod' on Savannah)