hyperbole-users

Re: [Hyperbole-users] Need more usage examples (Was: Subscription within

From: Robert Weiner
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2020 00:45:26 -0400

On Oct 29, 2020, at 9:31 PM, Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> wrote:

* Robert Weiner <rsw@gnu.org> [2020-10-29 07:26]:

Yes, I do not expect workflow from Hyperbole.

We are in agreement. The workflows are part of your application and hyperbole provides structure that enables the application.

What I would need would
be buttons or way to bind buttons to buffer on the fly. You could give
me pointers.

You are in luck.  We are in the process of adding a feature that lets you define your own button types just by using regular expressions, essentially no other programming knowledge required.  Soon you will hear about it.  We could support your Hyperscope with it too.

If you just want to programmatically insert buttons of existing button types, I would study the “hbut.el” and “hbdata.el” files in the main Hyperbole package directory, “${hyperb:dir}”; press the action key on any of these quoted paths. There are functions there to create and modify all categories of buttons and their meta-data with a fair bit of documentation.

I would not like making a special temporary director where I would be
creating on the fly .hypb to enable buttons in such buffer. That could
be last resort.

When I enter ~/tmp directory there I have .hypb and inside is written
that it belongs to buffer "README" and I have buttons in README and I
can perform management functions. Even staff member could then perform
computer management functions without knowing anything about computing
commands.

Somewhere after entering the directory or upon opening of a file you
must have setup some hook, maybe hproperty:but-create or other
hook. Help me. Then this hook is looking into .hypb and assigning
buttons.

hbut:act activates a button, looking up its metadata, if any, in .hypb and parsing it into the hbut:current in-memory representation of a button.  Hbdata.el handles all the internal button mechanics.

Is .hypb then converted into some Lisp structure of buttons that
buffer is using?

If that is so, then I just need to find the name of list structure and
I can already create buttons on the fly. Am I right?

Yes.  Remember to create implicit buttons you just spit out text from your program in a certain Textual pattern and that is it.

Additional suggestion: if the file is read-only and there are buttons,
you could make TAB to behave in such manner to switch from button to
button similarly like within eww.

Yes, I think something like this already exists but is buried somewhere.