hyperbole-users

Re: [Hyperbole-users] 7.0.4 test release with all my changes on Github

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: [Hyperbole-users] 7.0.4 test release with all my changes on Github
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2019 23:15:13 +0200

* Robert Weiner <address@hidden> [2019-08-26 14:23]:
> Sure.  I am pretty familiar with Doug’s work and happy to add more
> NLS/Augment features as needed.

Yesterday I was researching the tabulated-list-mode and it was fairly
rapid to develop the fundament of some kind of HyperScope[1] for
Emacs[2].

I am basing that on the SQL database. As otherwise I would end up in a
mess of text files or data pieces.

It has features from the mother of all demos[3], it is like a
menu-tree hypertext system that can link to anything.

Hyperbole has Emacs Lisp functions, so I can now include link from
Hyperbole to HyperScope like (hyperscope-action ID) where ID is node
ID. It can link to multiple Org files, and Org files can link back to
HyperScope.

And that is why I asked about moving the .hypb file, as that means I
could for example enter text from within a database, but text which is
not on file system, and if such text has the corresponding argument to
be the contents of the .hypb file, I could enter the world of
hyperlinking through Hyperbole.

Greedy linking and quick browsing is very important. My needs lay in
making straightline teaching for clients and straightline teaching for
staff members.

The experience have shown me that if people do not have the order in
front of them, they will learn slow. If there is order of subjects to
learn, they will learn faster, the relation between pieces of
information is important. If I would just give them books they would
never finish when lacking the understanding of relations between
pieces of knowledge.

My workflow before was that I had to explain so many links, videos,
things, personally, some videos are long, but shall only show certain
period of the video, that is what I call greedy hyperlinking, maybe I
am wrong with my English. It is also envisioned by Engelbart[4] to
allow such hyperlinking, it is certainly useful.

Then it is easier to teach person to show the exact period from 2:30
minutes and seconds to 20:50 minutes and seconds of the video, than
opening a video, and browsing or explaining to person how to browse to
certain section, and on distance it becomes vague, so it can be person
is watching something else than I meant that person should be
watching.

Reading specific paragraphs of specific page in a PDF is hardly
supported by majority of PDF readers, I wish it could be, but I

In fact every piece of information that can be reviewed by computer
shall offer the option to kill[5] the greedy link for the AUGMENT
Journal[6] so that such link can be used from any other system, such
as Hyperbole. I wonder if Emacs Doc View offers such facility.

As for Hyperbole, it lacks the actual link name, not only link. As
links only appear often ugly, especially if there are long path names,
the meaning of the link is not always for the user, it is there for
the action of the user, not for his observation, not necessarily.

Just as links in Org mode, so Hyperbole shall have links with their
names shown, not the links itself.

Jean

Footnotes:
[1]  https://open.tube/videos/watch/086dbf07-a49f-42f6-b3f9-39997de66014