hyperbole-users

Re: [Hyperbole-users] Hyperbole vs. Org-mode outlining

From: Robert Weiner
Subject: Re: [Hyperbole-users] Hyperbole vs. Org-mode outlining
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2016 18:19:13 -0400

​The numbered items below are things that Hyperbole has that I wondered whether Org-mode had anything like them.  -- Bob​

On Thu, Aug 4, 2016 at 5:33 PM, aditya siram <address@hidden> wrote:

1. Multi-level, auto-updated outline numbering, like 1.3.8.2 or 1c82.

You won't see this in the buffer itself but outline numbering is visible after exporting. Also org-mode lists support incrementing number. You do, for example,
    20.
and C-c RET and the next line will be:
    21.

​Yes, so it has one level of numbering rather than the much more difficult and useful hierarchical numbering that the Koutliner has.  Every Koutline node automatically has both a relative and a permanent identifier so you can refer to it uniquely from anywhere (together with its filename).  This seems like a big obvious difference but I don't think a lot of people are realizing yet, so having these discussions is very useful.

2. ​Per outline node attribute lists.
   Here's what org-mode offers: http://orgmode.org/guide/Properties.html#Properties. It also has tags: http://orgmode.org/manual/Setting-tags.html#Setting-tags. You can also search multiple org-mode files using a tag(s) query.

​Org has very useful facilities there.  I would say that Koutliner's properties are much more lisp-like and separate from the visible buffer text​, so you maintain a cleaner view of what you are working on, though I understand the properties can be collapsed in Org-mode.

3. Per node persistent ids and hypertext anchors.
   In org-mode you can refer and link to any named thing, node, source block, anything that is a headline or has a #+NAME property.

​How do you reference a headline without including much of its text?
Adding names with special syntax again visually litters the buffer.
Koutlines have built-in link anchors​

​with no extra effort.

4. Persistent node links (klinks).
   See above. The difference and the advantage of Hyperbole is that Org links can only be followed from Org files. Presumably with Hyperbole they're available everywhere.

​If I have 100 nodes in a list, imagine how long it would take to create all the named references and hyperlinks in Org-mode versus pointing and clicking to generate the links only in the Koutliner.  Conversely, Org-mode can do a lot of other things quickly that Hyperbole can't.​

5. Function mapping across all nodes in a tree.
   See the function `org-map-tree`.

​Good.

The reason I asked about cloning before is that org-mode does not have this and I think it would be a great feature but it would probably be too complicated to add this to org-mode now.

I'm a huge fan of literate programming and that is pretty much what I use org-mode for now. I'm trying to assess Hyperbole from that use-case.

​Hyperbole is certainly good for embedding explicit and implicit links within comments of programming languages and also giving you implicit links within the code.  As we make Hyperbole and Org-mode work even better together, we'll have the best of both worlds.

Bob