hurd-devel

Re: /servers/default-pager

From: Jeff Bailey
Subject: Re: /servers/default-pager
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 06:38:26 -0700

On Fri, Jun 14, 2002 at 05:57:35AM -0400, Roland McGrath wrote:

> This lets vmstat no longer be setuid.  It also lets the permission
> bits on the node control who can do swapon/off, instead of only
> root.  I made read permission let you get info (vmstat), write
> permission diddle storage (swapon), and execute permission do
> object_create (tmpfs et al).

> Does this seem like a good plan?  Having vmstat not be setuid is
> nice, but the real immediate motivator for this is having
> tmpfs/console work for non-root.

I really like the idea of being able to do alot of functions without
having to become the One True Root(tm).  Before getting into Free
Software, I used to work on Novell Netware systems, and the security
model in unix always seemed awful.  Now all we need is a decent
trustees system. =)

--
 One of the great things about books is sometimes
 there are some fantastic pictures.