hurd-devel

Re: savannah "help wanted"

From: Marcus Brinkmann
Subject: Re: savannah "help wanted"
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 14:04:04 +0200

On Thu, May 31, 2001 at 09:14:16PM -0400, Roland McGrath wrote:
> A while ago I used the savannah "Project Help Wanted" feature to record a
> request for somebody to work on rpctrace.  In the last month or so I have
> received several (maybe four or six) replies to this from people who want
> to help.

That's nice.  I also get occasional e-mails from volunteers who need topics
for their thesis, or simply want to know what needs to be done.  They often
feel that the existing tasks and TODO list is out of date.  I checked it
several times now, and found it incomplete, but not obsolete.

> But it does seem that some
> people peruse savannah and respond to those things, so it might be
> worthwhile to add some of those records for miscellaneous tasks that we
> would like to find some not-so-hardcore volunteers to work on.

While the Help Wanted feature is certainly useful to push requests outside
of the Hurd, it doesn't seem to be very useful to track progress and
information about an issue.  A good example for a Help Wanted (IMO) is to
look for testers, with the recommendation to use the Hurd, compile programs
on it etc, and report problems.

There is the "Tasks" area on the Hurd project page, where we can group the
existing tasks.  We don't need to assign a developer to a task, and people
can browse them.  Maybe we should start by exporting the current task/TODO
list.  I can do that.  Then we need someone who can be added as a developer
to the project to keep them up-to-date ;)

Thanks,
Marcus

--
`Rhubarb is no Egyptian god.' Debian http://www.debian.org address@hidden