help-texinfo

Re: Texinfo with latex

From: Gavin Smith
Subject: Re: Texinfo with latex
Date: Fri, 7 May 2021 19:52:16 +0100

On Fri, May 7, 2021 at 5:59 AM Christopher Dimech <dimech@gmx.com> wrote:

> Would it be too difficult for texinfo to start accepting latex command
> structured, in addition to plain tex?  Currently texinfo and org-mode
> do not work very well together - texinfo in mainly "plain tex", whereas
> org-mode in clearly "ob-latex".  It makes sense to allow copying code
> between the two and be able to render and preview equations.

We discussed this a few months ago and it is not possible to support
LaTeX in Texinfo files. If writing equations you need to stick to
plain TeX. A small number of LaTeX commands, such as \frac, can be
provided as a convenience, but proper LaTeX compatibility should be
considered a complete impossibility.

> With the latest texinfo mathjax improvements, texinfo works better with
> preview in emacs, than with ob-latex.

That's good to hear.