help-texinfo

Re: @ref without page numbers

From: Christopher Dimech
Subject: Re: @ref without page numbers
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2020 12:26:38 +0200

Dear Gavin,

Have now tested your modification of texinfo.tex to remove the page
number and if works.

I also put the page number as a superscript.  It is easy to do, and
independently of whether customary or not, it does solve particular
problems if you could be so kind to put the options to do them.

With the appended 'p', it should not conflict with footnotes.
Furthermore as seen in the subscript commands 1. and 2., because the
page number it after close right bracket ']' and before the comma ','
of the reference, people would not confuse it with a footnote.  Appending
the letter 'p' could act as abbreviation if people think it is really
necessary.

1. Like this

\turnoffactive \sup{\refx{#1-pg}{}}%

2. and like this

\turnoffactive \sup{p\refx{#1-pg}{}}%

      %\ifoutputpagenumberinxref
        % But we always want a comma and a space:
        %,\space
        %
        % output the `page 3'.
        %\turnoffactive \putwordpage\tie\sup\refx{#1-pg}{}%
        \turnoffactive \sup{p\refx{#1-pg}{}}%
        % Add a , if xref followed by a space
        \if\space\noexpand\tokenafterxref ,%
        \else\ifx\  \tokenafterxref ,% @TAB
        \else\ifx\*\tokenafterxref ,%   @*
        \else\ifx\  \tokenafterxref ,%   @SPACE
        \else\ifx\  \tokenafterxref ,%    @NL
        \else\ifx\tie\tokenafterxref ,% @tie
        \fi\fi\fi\fi\fi\fi
      %\fi

Christopher Dimech
Chief Administrator - Naiad Informatics - GNU Project (Geocomputation)
- Geophysical Simulation
- Geological Subsurface Mapping
- Disaster Preparedness and Mitigation
- Natural Resource Exploration and Production
- Free Software Advocacy