help-texinfo

Re: [PDF] Quotes glyphs; chapters/sections numbers in bookmarks

From: Sebastian Urban
Subject: Re: [PDF] Quotes glyphs; chapters/sections numbers in bookmarks
Date: Thu, 7 May 2020 19:30:03 +0200

Not much space?  I think these sidebars (at least in Adobe Reader and
SumatraPDF) are easily resizeable, just grab & pull making it wider.
Unless you're writing about something else.

But that takes away space from the main pane for reading the document.

In the age of 16:9 screens?  I'm using 5:4 and it's still very usable.
Moreover some readers offer auto-closing of pane after clicking
chosen chapter/section... or you can close it manually.

I also said about focusing on numbering instead of names, as easier
way of navigating, so even if the name will be cut, the number will
still be there.

One other thing is that chapter numbers in the sidebar really makes it
clear what is a chapter and what is an appendix or other unnumbered
top-level section.

This is a good point, especially for distinguishing chapters from
appendices.

Do you have any thoughts on just having numbers for the chapters but
not for any subordinate sections?  The problem is worse for
subordinate section numbers like "18.3.4" which take up more space.

This could be a nice compromise, after all chapter is part of the
document, so it's smaller and easier to navigate, than whole document.

There were section numbers in the outline in some other PDF's I looked
at, although some actually had the word "Chapter" in the outline which
definitely should be avoided.

Well, my intuition tells me that it usually works in "binary" mode,
i.e. everything numbered or nothing.  I agree about avoiding word
"Chapter" in bookmarks as a general rule, it's unnecessary.

After you send reply to this message with decision, finalizing this
thread, (...)

The decision doesn't have to be final if other arguments come to light.

Alright, in fact I'm hoping for some other opinions, so I can wait.

In the meantime, the compromise above, could be implemented.  Then, it
could be updated, or not, to include (sub)sections in numbering.

S. U.