help-texinfo

Re: Problem with heading appearing on new chapter page

From: Gavin Smith
Subject: Re: Problem with heading appearing on new chapter page
Date: Thu, 7 May 2020 12:52:39 +0100

On Sat, May 02, 2020 at 03:53:25PM +0200, Sebastian Urban wrote:
> > For one thing @thischapterheading is not a good name for this.
>
> As for name I basically did "search & replace", i.e. just wanted for
> it to look similar.  So, name may be changed.
>
> > Also there would have to be similar commands for all the @this*
> > commands listed in Info node "(texinfo)Custom Headings": @thistitle,
> > etc.
>
> So... add them too.  Without @...page and @today{}, but the rest:
> @...chaptername, @...chapternum, @...sectionname, @...sectionnum,
> @...title, @...file, could be added.  Again, this would probably be
> temprorary solution, until someone will add option to show/hide these
> on new chapter page.
>
> > When I first implemented the hiding of the chapter name I
> > deliberately left user-defined headings as they were because users
> > may have preferred the existing behaviour.
>
> Which surprises me.  I would rather think that they would like no
> chapter/section description on new chapter page (empty heading), just
> like it's in the books.

I don't know why the heading customization was added in the first place
but I imagine it would be used for people proof-reading drafts (as
mentioned in the manual).  This is a different use to looking good for a
user.  It has never supported blank headings for chapter pages only.
Changing nothing here is the least disruptive choice.  We do not want to
add a lot of customization options for PDF output, especially if there
is not much demand for it from users.  The main thing is to have a
sensible default.