help-texinfo

Re: lisp blocks

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: lisp blocks
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2020 16:32:27 -0700

    > Are there examples of texinfo files used as Lisp libraries ?

Not that I've ever heard of (not proof, of course, but I suspect I would
have).

I don't know it for a fact, but I suspect it was invented for the "intro
to elisp" and/or "elisp reference" manuals, back when they were first
written (1980s). It would not surprise me if Bob Chassell or other
authors had an Elisp function that ran through all the Lisp blocks to be
sure they eval-ed. Or perhaps they had that idea, rms/bob threw the
command into Texinfo, but never actually did anything with it.  But I
have no actual knowledge, I'm just speculating.

    > Was that an attempt at offering the possibility to write literate code ?

I wouldn't call it such. I guess all the Lisp could be extracted into a
file, so in a basic sense it could be used as such (not that it ever
was, to my knowledge) but there are no other literate programming features.

By the way, there is nothing that actually enforces @lisp contents being
Lisp code. It could be anything. @lisp is a synonym for @example.

By the way 2, I don't understand your original point. @lisp output in
the PDF is indented, relative to the left margin, in both PDF and Info
output. --best, karl.