help-texinfo

(q.v.) in the emacs manual

From: Jean-Christophe Helary
Subject: (q.v.) in the emacs manual
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2020 13:54:52 +0900

The glossary in the emacs manual has lots of (q.v.) to "refer" to other items
in the glossary. Such references are not handled as hypertext links. They are
just plain strings that require the user to manually search for the
corresponding term.

Considering that texinfo only has 3 types of cross references and that none of
them fits the requirements of "q.v." (i.e., just a link, no "strings" attached,
no page number added, etc.) my idea is that the manual authors simply preferred
to resort to this visual reference (just write "q.v.") and let the user find
the reference manually rather than trying to create a solution in texinfo.

I found 2 q.v. in the Elisp Reference, 134 in the Emacs manual.

I tried using @ref and here is what I get:

PDF:
Aborting means getting out of a [recursive editing], page 592.

I get the extra ", page 592" where I'd just be happy with "[recursive editing]"
or even "recursive editing (q.v.)".

HTML:
Aborting means getting out of a recursive edit.

Where "recursive edit" is a link to the anchor I added to "Recursive Editing
Level". The HTML output is perfect.

terminal INFO:
Aborting means getting out of a *note recursive edit: recursive
     editing.

I don't need the "*note" and the ":recursive editing". The link is sufficient.

GUI Emacs INFO:
Aborting means getting out of a see recursive edit
     .

I don't need the "see" and it looks like there is an extra space before the
period.

"quod vide" is "used to direct a reader to another part of a book or article
for further information." (Oxford Dictionary of English). It seems perfectly
relevant to have such parts handled as short links in Texinfo.

I've been looking at the texinfo.tex file to see if I could do something there.
Is that the right place to do that ?

Jean-Christophe Helary