help-texinfo

Re: [help-texinfo] No index in PDF manual

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] No index in PDF manual
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2019 16:18:28 -0600

Ok, I'll keep gnulib in sync with ftp.gnu.org.

    This could work I suppose, although it would make texinfo.tex more
    complicated than it was, rather than simpler.

That desire not to make the already too-complicated code more
complicated, and the compatibility problem, is exactly why I never
changed the index character to be @.  Despite the problems with \,
which seemed rather minor by comparison.

    At least omitting the index makes the problem clear, instead of some TeX
    error message being output when the user tries to run TeX,

Wouldn't an error message be highly desirable as well as omission?

It is pretty easy not to notice that no index was generated. Few
authors, me included, are in the habit of checking whether a tool did
its job if no error is reported. Mere messages on the console are too
easily ignored. --best, karl.