[Help-sweater] colossal

From: Bridget Jimenez
Subject: [Help-sweater] colossal
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 08:29:02 +0100

She was always goingabout the house putting things in their places and she attended toeverything.
Victoria could get her gradeeasily enough if she wanted to. And then grandmothers old white face had flushed.
Two years ago Cousin Millie had died and Jodyhad just stayed on. I think it is very dull, said Jane truthfully.
Jane was sureshe could do it perfectly if she were allowed.
But itis not with fear that their pulse is quickened .
The cattle-path forks: the girl follows one branch, the mananother. Shewould never let Frank get petrol there.
But itis not with fear that their pulse is quickened . They go to the windows of the school house and peer in. Jane would have liked the fun of doing that. But I can remember when Gay Street wasone of the most fashionable residential streets in town.
You had tokeep to the flat stepping-stones path.
That house died thirty years ago, when Robert Kennedy died, saidthe older woman.
And poor Janes voice would die away to littlemore than a whisper.
It was too long and too elaborate and it wasdirty and grease-spotted.
The years go by; we both are passingthrough life.
Mothers mouth was like a rosebud, small and red, with dimplestucked away at the corners. One night grandmother had smiled and said, What do you think ofthe Bible, Victoria?
The wind was howling along thestreet outside.
And poor Janes voice would die away to littlemore than a whisper.
There were noJanes in the Kennedys or Andersons.
Niels, she says, Ive had more than six years time to think thatover.
Jane did not know whether she was going to get her grade or not.
The cattle-path forks: the girl follows one branch, the mananother. The stifled, piteous sounds came clearlyon the still, crystal air of the spring evening.
His voicewould seem so strange: it would break a spell.
Uncle William put the piece of white chicken meat he had justcarved off on the side of the platter. I shouldhave thought of it twelve years ago; but I did not know it then. However, AuntSylvia very kindly gave her a double portion of turnip.
There were noJanes in the Kennedys or Andersons.
Mother didnt finish her sentence but Jane knew she meant,Grandmother wouldnt like it if I didnt go.
She was still speaking toward the comingmoment of, saying anything that came to hand, at random. She knew why mother seldom kissedher or petted her in grandmothers presence.
She is pretty,lady-like, well behaved and clever . I thought I could livemy life as a protest against the life my mother had lived.
She was ready to die of shameand mortification.
Grandmother had given her thebracelet last week for her birthday.