[Help-sweater] delicacy

From: Jennifer Gunn
Subject: [Help-sweater] delicacy
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2006 13:51:23 -0700

A violent passion of grieffor his loss was no more possible than for the pensive decay of theyear. I knew one man who had been for years aby-word for having sought the philosophers stone. You may believe that I was especially curious to look at that oldlover of hers, through my glasses. I have never seenyou wearing spectacles. My parents were both dead,and my grandmother had entire charge of me. There I pitched my tent, and stayedtill the good man died, and his business was discontinued. I think I have seen the same thing even in this city. You may spare yourself the pain of trying to impose uponme. But sometimes an irresistible necessity compels me to put themon, and I cannot help seeing. I heardchildrens voices, and the low lullaby of happy mothers. I watched the earnest, enthusiasticsacrifice. How glad I am that I can now look at her through my spectacles. Misfortunes of many kinds came heavily upon the family after the headwas gone. But it happened that thegovernor and my grandfather were old friends, and there was nooffense. She knew his love, and honored it,although she could not understand it nor return it. As if it were atall necessary that they should! You know my grandfather Titbottom was a West Indian. She glidedsmoothly, slowly, over the summer sea. The hours were not enough for the wild romances which I ravedin her ear. Or I put them on again, and looked at the wife. That young lady was afterwards mygrandmother Titbottom. Enough to do, and all so real and so grand! Decidedly I must step down and see about that vessel, said mygrandfather Titbottom. When he spoke again, it was with the old,subdued tone, and the air of quaint solemnity. My young friend means to eat them, I suppose, said he with acontemptuous smile. You may spare yourself the pain of trying to impose uponme. I am, or rather was, a minister, of the Sandemanian connection. The gentlesweetness of his wife melted every heart into love and sympathy. That young lady was afterwards mygrandmother Titbottom.