help-stow

Re: [Help-stow] how to override/disable stow's default ignore list?

From: Adam Spiers
Subject: Re: [Help-stow] how to override/disable stow's default ignore list?
Date: Sat, 7 Nov 2015 18:57:19 +0000

On Tue, Oct 27, 2015 at 12:51:08PM -0400, Ryan Williams wrote:
> Hello help-stow,
>
> I'm using stow to install my git dotfiles including a .gitignore file I
> keep in ~/ which I use as a global gitignore. Stow doesn't install that
> file because it matches an entry on the default ignore list. How can I
> override this behavior? Renaming the file is a workaround but I'm curious
> about other options.

If the default ignore list doesn't work for you, simply use your own,
as described in the manual:

https://www.gnu.org/software/stow/manual/html_node/Types-And-Syntax-Of-Ignore-Lists.html#Types-And-Syntax-Of-Ignore-Lists

I do this for exactly the same use case you described:

  https://github.com/aspiers/git-config/blob/master/.stow-local-ignore