help-stow

[Help-stow] Stow toasts existing directories

From: Rich Bodo
Subject: [Help-stow] Stow toasts existing directories
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2002 19:39:27 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

        I noticed that if I have an existing directory tree with no
        files in it, such as:

        /usr/local/share/bayonne/tgi/

        and a stow directory of:

        /usr/local/stow

        and a stowed application called bvm,

        and a stowed application file like:

        /usr/local/stow/bvm/share/bayonne/tgi/file.pl

        when I unstow the application bvm with:

        stow -D -d /usr/local/stow bvm

        stow blows away the entire directory structure
        /usr/local/share/bayonne.

        it does this because there are no more files in there, but
        many other applications would like to store files there, and
        the directory structure existed long before I stowed the
        application "bvm", so I don't think stow should blow
        directories away like this.

        Is there a way to tell stow not to blow away empty directories
        that existed before the application was stowed?

-Rich

Rich Bodo | address@hidden | 650-964-4678