help-smalltalk

Problem to resolve 3.3 release; regarding point 3.) bison, genbc and mod

From: Jean-Marc Farinas
Subject: Problem to resolve 3.3 release; regarding point 3.) bison, genbc and modern linkers
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2024 22:55:29 -0500

Compiling gnu smalltalk from source was not possible for me.
There where multiple definitions for yychar, yylval etc.
and genbc was not compiled.

I have added a linker flag in the generated
makefile after the configure script was executed.
It is a direct editing of the resulting makefile and not
the configure script files (I have not tried using LDFLAGS with configure script, being afraid it will be applied to all
programs). I don't understand very well how autotools work.

But with this modification I was able to build a "gst" program, and running 'make check' seem to give adequate results, but not 100%
(it will be left for another session).

My steps after cloning the gnu-smalltalk git package

1) autoreconf -vif
2) ./configure
3) and then, the really ugly hack: in the libgst/Makefile
add -Wl,allow-multiple-definition to compile genbc.
Theline will look like:

genbc$(EXEEXT): $(genbc_OBJECTS) $(genbc_DEPENDENCIES) $(EXTRA_genbc_DEPENDENCIES)
@rm -f genbc$(EXEEXT)
$(AM_V_CCLD)$(LINK) -Wl,-allow-multiple-definition $(genbc_OBJECTS) $(genbc_LDADD) $(LIBS)

It enabled me to have a working "gst".

If the compilation request is done through emacs, following errors will point directly to the file and line where change must be inserted.

Hope it help, and if there is a less "hacky" way to have a running
program it would be nicer than this solution.

Jean-Marc Farinas