help-smalltalk

How does GNU Smalltalk build primitive selectors?

From: Mark Bratcher
Subject: How does GNU Smalltalk build primitive selectors?
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2021 18:41:42 -0500

Hello

I started chasing down the issue with the display (`printOn`) for floats which led me to a few different issues. One in particular leads to a potential issue with the SmallInteger >> * operator primitive. However, I’m having trouble understanding how this is actually implemented and built, or how GNU Smalltalk in general handles primitives.

The SmallInteger >> * selector in kernel/SmallInt.st seems to get bypassed. I found VMpr_SmallInteger_times in libgst/prims.inl, but this doesn’t seem to get called, either (at least not as evidenced by trying to trace execution).

So I’m looking for a little guidance on the structure of this part of the code structure.

Thank you!

Sent from Mail for Windows 10