help-smalltalk

Re: [Help-smalltalk] GNU Smalltalk 3.3 & VisualGST

From: Holger Freyther
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] GNU Smalltalk 3.3 & VisualGST
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2019 07:57:40 +0800

> On 19. Jul 2019, at 00:01, Quenio dos Santos <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> Hello,

Hi!

> Just started trying out GNU Smalltalk. I'm finding it easier to use than
> the alternatives, because it doesn't require you to program from within a
> Smalltalk image.

this is how I got started with GNU Smalltalk. I do most of the dev in Pharo
these days though.

> I was wondering if the project is still active. Looks like the last release
> was the 3.3 alpha: http://smalltalk.gnu.org/news/gnu-smalltalk-3-2-91, in
> 2015, but the final version of 3.3 doesn't seem to have come out. The
> version I have running on MacOS is from Homebrew, which is 3.2.5_8.

For 3.3 we re-worked the event-loop integration but unfortunately this could
trigger some deadlocks with VisualGST (when stepping through code in the
debugger)
and I didn't want to make a release but lacked the time to resolve this.

I think we should probably release 3.3 anyway and see if it matters. Given
how long it took GTK+2 isn't that relevant either.

> I'm also trying to run VisualGST on MacOS, but it is complaining that the
> Cairo package is not available. I'm wondering if there's a way to get this
> package on MacOS, and get VisualGST running.

Maybe the Tcl/Tk browser gives you a better experience right now? It might
be that GST isn't looking in the right directory for libcairo.dylib. What are
the steps for reproducing this? brew install ...?

holger