help-recutils

Re: [help-recutils] Rec-Mode How to Search For Multiple Records

From: Jose E. Marchesi
Subject: Re: [help-recutils] Rec-Mode How to Search For Multiple Records
Date: Sun, 08 Feb 2015 21:00:53 +0100

    I'm trying to use emacs' rec-mode, instead of the command line, to
    edit my rec files. I have a simple database: there are cases, which
    have a one-to-many relationship with notes. In rec-mode, how do I see
    a list of all the notes which are linked to a particular case?

    For example if I want to find all notes the notes linked to the Case
    with CaseID 12. I can change the type to Notes (using rec-find-type).
    Then I can do a search for relevant notes with rec-command-select-sex
    and then "Case = 12". This shows the first note linked to this case,
    but how do I find the others (the second, third, fourth etc...)?

There is currently no way to do that with rec-mode.  The reason is that
it is not clear at all to me what would be a good user interface for
such feature...

What about maintaining a "current" search and binding 'N' and 'P' to
navigate through the results?  That would be easy to implement.