help-rcs

Issue with RCS + SUID

From: Daniel Wheeler
Subject: Issue with RCS + SUID
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2023 10:32:41 -0700

Hello,

We are trying to setup RCS with SUID to prevent users other than the primary user from deleting revisions. We followed the directions in the man page for ci, but we are getting permissions issues when we try to checkout as one of the other users.

This is our setup:

This is the procedure we followed from the man page:

We then, with sjc001, create a test file and check it in. Once that is done, we try to check out with sha001 and get the following error:

test]$ co -l xorgxrdp.10.log
xorgxrdp.10.log,v  -->  xorgxrdp.10.log
revision 1.1 (locked)
co: xorgxrdp.10.log,v: Operation not permitted
co: saved in ,xorgxrdp.10.log,

Why is it when we follow the procedure for setuid that is in the man page do we get permission denied when we are trying to check in/check out even though we are using setuid?