Re: out of memory or dimension too large for Octave's index type

From: Jiang, Yanda [E CPE]
Subject: Re: out of memory or dimension too large for Octave's index type
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2022 15:52:46 +0000

I see. Thanks, Markus.

From: Markus Mützel <markus.muetzel@gmx.de>
Sent: Thursday, October 27, 2022 1:21 AM
To: Jiang, Yanda [E CPE] <yandaj@iastate.edu>
Cc: help@octave.org <help@octave.org>

Am 27. Oktober 2022 um 01:17 Uhr schrieb "Jiang, Yanda [E CPE]":
> Hi Markus,

> Is this a 32bit or 64bit version? It looks like a 64bit version, but why is its intmax only 2^31?

Octave uses some linear algebra libraries that are written in Fortran. By default, integers are 32-bit wide in Fortran also for 64-bit targets. That means some operations are limited to arrays that can be indexed with 32-bit integers.

Having written that, it *is* possible to compile those Fortran libraries with a (non-default) integer size of 64 bits.

>From the screenshot you posted, I gather you are on Windows. There is an installer with a version of Octave where those Fortran libraries are using the larger (non-default) Fortran integer size.
Unfortunately, most of Octave's infrastructure is currently down due to an unexpected server outage. But you should still be able to find that installer on GNU's FTP server:
https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/octave/windows/

The version you could try is "octave-7.2.0-w64-64-installer.exe".

I hope that helps.
Markus