RE: Octave does not start

From: David Remans
Subject: RE: Octave does not start
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2021 13:48:37 +0000

Problem solved, by installing the latest 6.3.1 build
Thanks a lot for your help

>> Hi Markus,
>>
>> Here is small recap of the current status, still the GUI does not show:
>>
>> I uninstalled Octave 6.2.0, and deleted all remaining files and rebooted the
>> computer.
>> I downloaded the installer for Octave 6.3.0 and installed this version
>> (installation for all users)

Could you please also check with a nightly build of Octave 6.3.1 from
octave.space? You can download installers for those from here:
https://buildbot.octave.space/#/download
I just installed the 6.3.1 version (latest build ) and it does the trick. GUI
now runs  without a problem.
I don't know what the problem was, but it seems to be solved now.
>> I do have admin rights on my machine.
>> For antivirus I use default windows defender. I tried all steps below with
>> and without deactivating windows defender.
>>
>> - I can run a general VBA scrip like  "hello world", I can also run this
>> script from the Octave directory : C:\Program Files\GNU Octave\Octave-6.3.0
>> - When I start the GUI from the start menu shortcut, nothing happens
>> - When I start the GUI from the start menu shortcut as administrator, I get
>> a pop-up from windows to allow execution of the octave.vbs --gui script.
>> After I allow execution, nothing happends
>> - When I run Octave.bat in command window, this runs well (see attached
>> screenshot), I can create variables etc in command line
>> - When I use CMD to run the octave.vbs script It seems to run the script
>> (but GUI does not open). To test I added a line at the end of the script to
>> show GUI MODE, and I get proper output.
>> - When I open Octave CLI from the start menu a command window opens with
>> only a blinking cursor. (see attached screenshot) in the title balk it
>> mentions "Octave-gui.exe"
>> - Using CMD I search for GNU file see attached screenshot for returned info.
>> (I also attached the content of the file, changed the extension to .txt to
>> allow transfer)
>
>Thanks for that.
>The fifth column of the output for "dir /x" shows the short file name
>corresponding to each file or folder if they are available. (That would be
>something like "GNUOCT~1".) It looks like that column is empty for you. That
>>probably means that short file names have been disabled for that partition.
>Could you please try and change the installation directory to a path that
>doesn't contain spaces? E.g., "C:\Octave".
>Does that allow the GUI to start?
No it did not solve the issue I tried C:\apps and C:\Temp but same results