Re: read date from xls file

From: przemek klosowski
Subject: Re: read date from xls file
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2021 16:45:35 -0400

On 8/31/21 11:40 AM, george brida wrote:

I have a xlsx file called gffft (attached) containing two columns: the first a date column under the format  mm/dd/yyyy and the second column is reserved for the values of a series.  I would like to read the date column and plot the series where the x-axis is the date column but rather in the following format: dd-mmm-yyyy.

https://octave.discourse.group/t/convert-date-to-number-from-excel/194/3

You will probably need to load (and maybe install beforehand) the IO package to use xlsread(), but it seems to read your data.

As Doug says above, the XLS dates use a different epoch than Octave, so you need to add 693960, and then you can print them out by using datestr()

datestr(31959+693960,'dd-mmm-yyyy')
ans = 01-Jul-1987