Re: Building Octave from source

From: Sambeet Panigrahi
Subject: Re: Building Octave from source
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2020 18:45:37 +0530

I found out the suitesparse version using
$ sudo ldconfig -v | grep libsuitesparse
sbin/ldconfig.real: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/ld-2.31.so is the dynamic linker, ignoring

libsuitesparseconfig.so.5 -> libsuitesparseconfig.so.5.7.1
/sbin/ldconfig.real: /lib32/ld-2.31.so is the dynamic linker, ignoring

However the Sundials version was 3.1. So I updated it to sundials 5.1 which I compiled from source code available from
here
Now I get the following error while building from source.

configure: WARNING: SUNDIALS IDA library not configured with SUNLINSOL_KLU or sunlinksol_klu.h is not usable.  The solvers ode15i and ode15s will not support the sparse Jacobian feature.
The command I gave was :
./../configure --prefix=$HOME/my_octave

Even with the CPP flag like below, I get the same error:
./../configure --prefix=$HOME/my_octave CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/include/suitesparse"

In the compile output,
checking for sunlinsol/sunlinsol_klu.h... no
checking for SUNKLU in -lsundials_sunlinsolklu... no
configure: WARNING: SUNDIALS IDA library not configured with SUNLINSOL_KLU or sunlinksol_klu.h is not usable.  The solvers ode15i and ode15s will not support the sparse Jacobian feature.

But in the /usr/include/sunlinsol...I could not find a sunlinsol_klu.h library. Do I need to edit the configure.ac file in someway to make this work?

On Tue, Dec 29, 2020 at 2:18 AM Markus Mützel <markus.muetzel@gmx.de> wrote:
Am 28. Dezember 2020 um 18:32 Uhr schrieb "Sambeet Panigrahi":
> Hi,
> I have built Octave from source using the instructions from the Octave building website[http://wiki.octave.org/Building]. I used the debian maintainers site[https://salsa.debian.org/pkg-octave-team/octave/blob/master/debian/control] to get the debian packages that can be installed using apt. So after installing all the dependencies, I used the following code:
> hg clone https://www.octave.org/hg/octave[https://www.octave.org/hg/octave] && \
> cd octave                                  && \
> ./bootstrap
>
> mkdir .build                            && \
> cd    .build                            && \
> ./../configure --prefix=$HOME/my_octave
>
> But using the above I get the following error: configure: WARNING: SUNDIALS IDA library not configured with SUNLINSOL_KLU or sunlinksol_klu.h is not usable.   The solvers ode15i and ode15s will not support the sparse Jacobian feature. I managed to build Octave using the command, ./../configure --prefix=$HOME/my_octave CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/include/suitesparse"
>  Because I found the klu.h library inside suitesparse.How can I add this to the configure.ac[http://configure.ac]
> so that next time I can just configure using: ./../configure --prefix=$HOME/my_octave
> Can someone please help me out?

Which version of SuiteSparse do you use?

Might be related to https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?55937
IIUC, SUNLINSOL_KLU should be working out of the box with SuiteSparse 4.1 (and newer?).

Markus