readline weirdness in octave

From: Przemek Klosowski
Subject: readline weirdness in octave
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2020 12:58:20 -0400

Readline in Octave (on Linux at least) is a little different than readline functionality for everything else, in that it seems to be doing a search on up- and down-arrows. If I type a partial command at, say, a bash prompt, and then hit up-arrow, it just switches to the previous command. In Octave, it searches to a previous command starting with what I typed so far---which is great for the nimble-fingered, but doesn't work that well for the fat-fingered rest of us: for example, I often try to hit an up-arrow on an empty line, miss it so that  I get some garbage chars like ~, and then the up-arrow doesn't work until I manually delete those extra chars.

Similarly, after mistyping a command, and up-arrowing it to make corrections,  typing anything, including left- and right-arrows, locks readline into search mode: for instance

bad1

bad2

and typing up-arrow returns bad2 and then bad1, but if you type a left-arrow first followed by right-arrow, up-arrow no longer works, probably because it searches for bad2.

This behavior is hard to describe because there's no feedback as to what is it searching for and when---which is why I would rather turn it off if possible---Is there a way to do it?