Re: FEMLAB toolbox implementation on Octave

From: Nicholas Jankowski
Subject: Re: FEMLAB toolbox implementation on Octave
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2020 11:19:09 -0400

On Fri, Jul 31, 2020 at 9:06 AM Mishal0488 <mishal0488@gmail.com> wrote:

> I may be mistaken, but I do not think that the FEMLAB your are talking about
> is the same as what I am. I think that they just share the same name but are
> independent.
>
> The code was developed by Dr Steen Krenk, I had to hunt down his details to
> get the code, it took a few months to just get a response. I haven't seen
> his name popup anywhere else other than the books he authored.
>
> So the information which he sent me is basically all the solvers for the
> different element types in a number of M files, and a number of other M
> files which consist of functions that can be used to assemble various data.
> The functions are easy to call up and use however I am struggling to get the
> solvers running.
>
> So essentially yes I have the "toolbox", and a number of examples.

Unless there was a fork i'm not aware of, my understanding is that there's only ever been one FEMLAB.  Dr. Krenk authored some books a while back on its use, but that was the same program that was later renamed Comsol Multiphysics.  I know that Comsol released a few stripped down versions tied to textbooks that they released (example - FEMLAB ECRE Version the  book Elements of Chemical Reaction Engineering. - http://www.umich.edu/~elements/web_mod/radialeffects/femlab_ecre.pdf )

Perhaps he provided you with something similar to one of those? I'm not surprised it took him that long to dig out the code for you (but a little impressed).   In any case, I'm not aware of anyone trying to get FEMLAB m-scripts running under Octave.  If you have added everything to the path, you're going to have to try things out function by function to see what does and doesn't work. Hopefully the FEMLAB code is old enough that current Octave versions have implemented most of those functions, especially the GUI stuff, but it'll be trial and error.

So, going back to your first email, like the instructions said you're going to need to add the FEMLAB scripts to the search path so Octave can find them.

commands on modifying the path can be found here:
https://octave.org/doc/v5.2.0/Manipulating-the-Load-Path.html

The path command they tell you to use should do the job.  (it'll add that folder to the existing search path).  then, you'll need to be in the folder with the other functions to run them. or I guess you could add that folder to the path the same way.

otherwise you'll need to give us some more specifics on what is where, what you've tried, and what isn't working.