Re: FEMLAB toolbox implementation on Octave

From: Nicholas Jankowski
Subject: Re: FEMLAB toolbox implementation on Octave
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2020 08:52:10 -0400

On Fri, Jul 31, 2020 at 8:35 AM Mishal0488 <mishal0488@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Guys
>
> I am currently working through a book dealing with the non-linear analysis
> of structures and solids.
> The Author has provided some Matlab code which can be used for some of the
> question within the book.
>
> I am not that knowledgeable on how to setup the code he has provided, I hope
> that someone can help...
>
> There are 2 folder provided, includes various M files, which are essentially
> the solvers for the different element types, the below initial code is given
> for the path:
>
>  % Add folder to Matlab search path
> path(path,'C:\NonlinToolbox\FEMTOOLS\Drivers');
>
> The second folder presents various M files which contain functions to
> develop develop various vectors and matrices. Each function is in a
> different M file.
>
> I have attached an image for which details the setup of the "Toolbox",
> however I am not accustomed with using paths and so forth.
>
> Can someone please point me in the right direction to get started please.
> Even if it is a website that gives an explication on how to perform such a
> task.

So, FEMLAB was a MATLAB toolbox, and eventually spun off to become
current, very popular finite element analysis tool Comsol
Multiphysics.  I think that transition happened around 2005, so
finding specific support for 'FEMLAB' might be difficult.

Did this textbook provide scripts to be run with FEMLAB itself (e.g.,
example model files), or did it actually provide a copy of the FEMLAB
toolbox?  It may be possible to set up a version of the old FEMLAB
toolbox to run under octave if all of the scripts are compatible, but
I have never heard of anyone doing so.