Re: Using system

From: Nicholas Jankowski
Subject: Re: Using system
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2020 14:37:08 -0400

> My name is Clarke and I've recently installed Octave 5.2 for a calculus class
> and I can't seem to figure out how to use it. I've watched videos, but every
> time I put in a command an  error message follows, ex: f=x^2 or limit(f,2)
> for limits. I'm not sure what to do. I also tried to install the symbolic
> package but it's not working. I don't really know what to do, I've never used
> this system before.

ok, thanks for reaching out.  lets see if we can help.

first, we can't see what's on your screen, so any time you ask about
inputs or an error, copy and paste right from the command window into
an email so we can see the exact message.  that way we're not
guessing.

do you want/need to be working with the symbolic package in octave?
are you using Windows?  the symbolic package normally relies on
Python, and needs you to have python and other packages installed, but
the package manager made a special bundle for windows where you just
have to download and install one thing in Octave.

Please see the 'Option 1' directions here:
https://github.com/cbm755/octsympy/wiki/Notes-on-Windows-installation

after you get symbolic working, let us know what other help you need.
 note that the procedures for solving symbolic and not symbolic
(numeric) problems are very different, so be sure that any directions
you follow are appropriate for what you're trying to do.