Problem with pkg

From: Nir Krakauer
Subject: Problem with pkg
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2020 19:00:20 -0400

Package management stopped working for me, maybe due to conflicts
between Octave versions (I recall several related bug reports being
filed against pkg lately, but they were supposed to have been fixed).
I can run `pkg install -forge -local name` successfully (the package
shows up in the Packages directory), but `pkg list` then continues to
give `no packages installed.` and I can't load and use the package.
`pkg rebuild` runs, but doesn't change matters. Any guidance on how to
troubleshoot this? I'm running the development branch of Octave on
Ubuntu, which built and tested fine.