Re: Octave Installer for Windows with Debug Option

From: Markus Mützel
Subject: Re: Octave Installer for Windows with Debug Option
Date: Sat, 6 Jun 2020 11:05:12 +0200

Am 06. Juni 2020 um 09:53 Uhr schrieb "Markus Mützel":
> Am 06. Juni 2020 um 00:43 Uhr schrieb "Stefan Pofahl":
> > Hi,
>
> > currently I try to debug octave-pythonic on a windows machine, see:
> > https://gitlab.com/mtmiller/octave-pythonic/-/issues/81
> > and to do the job I am looking for an Octave Installer build with the
> > debug-option.
> > The description to build the installer:
> > http://wiki.octave.org/Windows_Installer
> > does not fit to what you downloading from the repository.
>
> > I guess I am not experienced enough to build the installer without a proper
> > description.
> > Can someone provide an appropriate installer or a detailed step-by-step
> > description
> > to do the job?
>
> > Regards,
>
> > Stefan
> >

> Hi Stefan,
>
> Could you describe which problems you are facing?
> The instruction on the wiki page you linked to do still apply afaict. But if
> you could point out what is missing, it can always be improved.
>
> Some general notes: If you want a cross-build for Windows without stripping
> the debug symbol, it is not possible to create an installer (because of
> maximum size). I'd suggest to build a 7z tarball.
>
> To cross-compile the latest release from a Linux box with debug symbols, I'd
> probably try these steps:
> hg clone https://hg.octave.org/mxe-octave/ mxe-octave
> cd mxe-octave
> ./bootstrap
> ./configure --enable-devel-tools --enable-windows-64 --enable-octave=release
> --enable-binary-packages --with-pkg-dir=../mxe-octave-pkg --with-ccache
> --disable-system-opengl --enable-qt5 --disable-strip-dist-files
> make all 7z-dist JOBS=4
>

> Note that cross-compiling the complete package will probably take several
> hours on decent hardware. And you'd need about 20 GiB free disc space (plus
> additional space for the compiler cache if you want to use ccache - which I'd
> highly recommend to speed up subsequent builds).
>
> HTH,
> Markus

I tried to read through the gitlab pull request you linked to. It is very
convoluted and hard to understand what you really want.
So I kind of have to guess what you really need. Generally, please try to state
what your real issue is - as opposed to asking for assistance for something
that you *suspect* to be a step towards a solution. See also:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XY_problem

Guessing that you try to debug an error with the GUI on Windows, you don't
really need to cross-compile yourself.
Maybe try this first:
Start the GUI on Windows.
Open the Task Manager and find the PID of the running Octave instance.
Browse to the folder where Octave is installed and open an msys shell with
"cmdshell.bat".
Run "gdb" in the shell.
Attach to the Octave process with the following command (where 12345 is the PID
of the Octave process):
(gdb) attach 12345
(gdb) continue

Run the commands that cause the error in Octave.
When the crash occurred, go back to gdb and do whatever you need to get the
necessary information. E.g. for a backtrace, execute "bt".

You'd probably need to make yourself somewhat familiar with gdb.

HTH
Markus