Re: Are there any currently major roadblocks on creating/maintaining an

From: Julien Bect
Subject: Re: Are there any currently major roadblocks on creating/maintaining an interface to R, such as ROctave?
Date: Tue, 19 May 2020 15:47:39 +0200

Le 19/05/2020 à 15:24, Carlos Paradis a écrit :
Hi Nicklas,

Thank you for the follow-up.

Encountered Matlab at University first time about 19 years ago, Octave is similar and think the basics have stayed the same. Get the impression development have slowed down and remember name of mathematicians lived hundred years ago, Leibniech, Newton, Jerome Cardan, Karl Pearsson, et. al. mostly dead.

I am not sure if I understand your point concerning the mathematicians. To be clear, I am trying to understand how hard would be to resurrect a project like ROctave and what background would be required. For example, do the difficulties still persist mentioned in DSC 2003? Were there any proposed solutions? I found very little discussion while searching on the subject, and was surprised considering the purpose of R and Octave overlap.

Concerning the oct-files, my current understanding is that to follow that approach I would need to create an oct file for every function of interest on every R package I use on my Octave project. This does not seem doable, and an external language interface like ROctave to simply call functions directly from R would seem simpler to maintain at first glance.

Perhaps the pythonic package [1] is an interesting example of what can be done?

@++
Julien

[1] https://gitlab.com/mtmiller/octave-pythonic