Re: Information app

From: jaime cortez heredia
Subject: Re: Information app
Date: Sun, 17 May 2020 18:12:45 +0200

Thank you
I will try to familiarize myself with the program
Cheers

El domingo, 17 de mayo de 2020, Nicklas Karlsson <address@hidden> escribió:
> Hello,
> I have been recommended this program to be able to make this audio tool
> like the one in the link, I am a Matlab user and would like to migrate, is
> it possible to do this in your program?
> Thank you
> https://www.rationalacoustics.com/smaart/smaart-v8/

In Octave FFT command may be used to calculate the frequency spectrum of a signal, if you have two channels function could be called twice.

It is however not real time and is made for general mathematics so you have to know what calculations to do. Figures in many different forms is possible with more or less work.

Frequency over time is interesting since normally a signal is assumed to exist forever so it is possible to get signal by summing up the basis functions (sin, cos) with the coefficients calculated by fft, this is called a fourier series in mathematics. Generalised pythagorean theorem come to my mind but are a little bit uncertain. Remember something about other basis functions than infinite time (sin, cos) from the course in wavelet analysis.

Phase and magnitude calculations and/or visualization is possible in Octave, it is common to use bode plots in control theory for the closed loop frequency response. For sound it is rather straight forward to calculate magnitude and phase then frequency spectrum is known. Transient response is of great theoretical interest in control theory but of less practical importance.

Octave is however most probably not a good choice as an audio tool even though it can do all kind of calculations.

Nicklas SB Karlsson