Re: Java and Octave

From: Markus Mützel
Subject: Re: Java and Octave
Date: Sat, 9 May 2020 13:28:44 +0200

Am 09. Mai 2020 um 12:48 Uhr schrieb "WMDhamnekar":
>   Hello,
>
>           I downloaded Octave version 5.2.0 in my Internet Explorer through
> octave-5.2.0_1-w64-installer. While installing octave, installer could not
> detect Java(JRE) on my computer system. So it said certain functions in the
> octave version to be installed will become disabled.  Actually I have
> installed Java already on my computer system.

The "bit-ness" of Octave and the JRE must match. So since you installed the
64bit version of Octave, you would need to have a 64bit version of the JRE.
By default java.com offers the 32bit version. The download link for the 64bit
version is a bit tricky to find:
https://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

>   I want to know whether octave will work well even after not detecting JRE
> on my computer system?

You only need a valid JRE if you want to interface to Java directly or plan on
using functions that need the Java interface (e.g. some functions from the io
package).
Otherwise, you should be fine.

HTH,
Markus