Re:

From: Nicklas Karlsson
Subject: Re:
Date: Sat, 9 May 2020 13:02:24 +0200

> Hi
>
> Does Octave have functionality already built in to solve the 3D diffusion
> eq in cylindrical coordinates using FD or FE or does that need to be built
> from scratch?

Not builtin but it may be possible to use Fenics which use Finite Element
method from Octave. Guess you mean Finite Difference by FD and Finitie Element
by FE. For Finitide Difference method Openfoam may be used but I never tried
this software and do not know much about it.

It might however be simpler to use Fenics directly instead of runnning from
Octave. I tried both python and C++ inteface for Fenics. I prefer C++ because
of static datatypes then compiler find if pieces fit together already before
program is run and it is easier to work with functions then datatypes define
what data is expected for function parameters. Codeblocks and C++ migth be a
good option, if you right click a datatype it is possible to open header.

There are some functions to create meshes for geometries in Octave which might
then be fed into Fenics. It is possible to import solved equations into Octave
which might be useful for both visualization and calculations on solution,
though Paraview or Opendx might in many cases be a better option. I have a
slightly modified version of a function which may be used for interpolation on
delaunay mesh which I got from someone else here, do not remember name, I used
it for interpolation on measurement data but on solution of PDE should work
equally well.

Regards Nicklas SB Karlsson