Re: Octave is really slow and “not responding”

From: A Wellmann
Subject: Re: Octave is really slow and “not responding”
Date: Wed, 6 May 2020 19:17:22 +0200

Am 02.05.2020 um 18:51 schrieb Nicholas Jankowski:
On Sat, May 2, 2020 at 5:51 AM <address@hidden> wrote:

Dear Deba and Kai,

thank you for your suggestions. Deativating Sophpos did actually speed up Octave marginally.

Please remember to bottom post on this mailing list.

I know on my windows installation I (intermittently, randomly) have to wait 10-30 seconds for the GUI to open. I also sometimes have long delays after a CD to a folder with a large number of files, I think waiting for the file browser window to update. Sometimes while it's hanging I jump into the task manager and the "Analyze Wait Chain' function usually says it's waiting on network activity. It's a managed windows system so I don't have freedom to disable the background utilities, and I always assume I'm waiting on part of the security suite to check in with home.  You can always check that and see if some process or service pops up in the wait chain. Event Viewer or Resource monitor are also behind admin blocks, so I can't peek at those, but they could give hints as to what's happening.

Did you mention that this is new with v5.2.0? Have you tried reinstalling an old version to see if the problem persists?

Thanks for all your suggestions,

I also analysed the wait chain, Octave is shown as inactive an also waiting on some network activity (network i/o). A quick search suggested updating the network driver. Updating the network drivers with automatic search for drivers did not help. I'll try updating the network drivers manually, etc. So I guess it's a problem with Windows and not Octave.

If you are interested, these are the results of trying the other suggestions:

1: Trying Octave CLI: it runs perfectly smooth

2: Windows Updates says all updates are installed

3: temporarily deactivated all apps from automatic start up, not helping

4: check hard disk: everything is fine

5: event manager: only one error (spellchecker)

6: try old version: didn't help

7: there is no active cloud connection

I guess I'll work with Octave CLI for now. If I find a solution to the problems with Windows, I'll let you know.

Best,

Max

PS: I learned a lot about possible ways to analyse problems of my Windows sytem, thanks!